Yesterday I received this email from my wife’s hotmail account:
how are you doing recently ? I would like to introduce you a very good company which i knew.They can offer you all kinds of electronical products which you need, such as motorcycles, laptops, mobile phones, digial cameras, TV LCD, xbox, ps3, gps, MP3/4, etc. Please take some time to have a look at it,there must be something you’d like to purchase.
the website: shop-2009.com
Their Email: email@example.com
Hope you have a good mood in shopping from their company!
Actually this spam was sent to everybody in her contacts.
I did let her know that someone got access to her hotmail account and urged her to change the hotmail password.
An hour later she told me that when she tries to sent an email the same text appears in all her messages. After further investigation, it was obvious that the message was in her mail signature.
What happen is that my wife logged on someone else computer that had a key logger, and her hotmail identity was stolen. She is lucky that her password wasn’t change.
I took following steps to make sure that my wife’s account doesn’t have any foreign fingerprints left. Please let me know if you think that I missed something.
- Changed Password.
- Changed the secure question and the secret answer.
- Made sure that there’s no alternate e-mail addresses that we don’t recognize.
- Made sure that there’s no mobile number and PIN we don’t recognize.
- Made sure that we recognize all emails in “Send and receive mail form other e-mail accounts section.
- Made sure that our “Vacation reply” wasn’t tempered.
- Removed tempered signature.
- Made sure that Reply-to address wasn’t tempered.